Saturday, September 11, 2010

Typical Days in Belize




On a typical Saturday I go to the Cayo market where the most amazingly fresh vegetables and fruits are sold by farmers who come to market from the villages--including San Antonio where I lived earlier in the year. The usual cucumbers, carrots, onions, pineapple, papaya and then the most delicious fruits and vegetables new to me such as chaya and petaya make for a wonderful week of sauteed vegetables. The other pictures are from a typical day at the local ATM (not what you think but rather Actun Tunichil Muknal, the Mayan Cave of the Crystal Sepulchre with artifacts and skeletons from 700-900 AD.) The third picture is a woman's skeleton. This trip involved hiking, swimming and some climbing (I was triple the age of everyone else but I held my own--mostly because swimming through a cave is quite extraordinary.

2 comments: