Sunday, April 4, 2010

My Community-Based Training (CBT) Experience Part II

Saturday, April 03, 2010

I went to a church concert tonight. The music varied from very good to slightly off key but always extraordinarily loud! A lot of evangelical speeches—some good singing and dancing but mostly praying to the lord for a better life but accepting that this is God’s will.

Saturday, April 3, 2010 - More

Today was my big day to do laundry (pictures to follow). My host mom showed me how to use the washtub and board and it actually was very efficient. After two scrubbings and one rinse I actually put it in an electric spinner to remove most of the water; on the line for one hour and they are dry!

Then the children announced they were taking me to a cave in the mountain surrounding my home. In general I have 4 to 5 children attached to me at all times; the only problem with the cave was they couldn’t find it but they showed me two very dry ponds. The interesting sociological phenomenon was that the five year old stepped on a plant that looked lovely to me but apparently if it gets into your skin it is very painful. She herself pulled out the thorn but was whimpering. The 11 year old carried her as we headed back; what I found interesting is that when we returned they did not mention it to their mom, they simply took care of it. I decided to get a handiwipe to clean the very dirty wound and the child seemed to take some comfort in that.

I didn’t do much in the afternoon but sat and read Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver on my Kindle; suddenly I was surrounded by children who insisted it was an etch-a-sketch; at least that’s what I thought because they kept asking me to shake it so everything would erase (I now know the word erase in Spanish). The more sophisticated children insisted it was a computer and wanted me to get Google.

No comments:

Post a Comment