Sunday, April 25, 2010

Updates since April 12

Well, I've been very busy. Previous Peace Corps groups said they didn't have enough scheduled during this three month training, so the Peace Corps has overcompensated and kept this group going like crazy!

On April 12, I moved to a new family but still in San Antonio Village. They are the "salt of the earth." When not watching novellas, they want to talk politics, and politics in Belize is unlike anything anywhere. Basically, whatever party is in power gives favors, jobs, land to their compatriots so the local people vote them out and then the other party -- there are only two-- wins and does the same! The good news is they have never had internal political violence, civil war or even international support (manipulation) for one side or the other.

Last weekend I stayed with a Peace Corps volunteer from New Orleans who is finishing up shortly. I became very excited about her project and we both speculate that maybe I will work there. It is a non-governmental organization specializing in microfinace for women--my passion of the year. Stay tuned. It was incredibly helpful to see more normal day-to-day living--I am really too old for living with a host family!

On what I am doing, Peace Corps training continues to be intense and high class. We even got an amazing lecture on solidarity the other day. Spanish continues to be practical--how to buy in the market place (that was our field trip yesterday) and today--our first day off in two weeks--was a trip to a spectacular waterfall along a beautiful river where swimming was great especially in over 100 degrees of heat. This week I have to give a session on proposal writing to my fellow Peace Corps volunteers--before my computer crashed, I managed to retrieve the workshop I did in Nicaragua and add some local flavor to the Power Point presentation.

Tonight we prepare a dinner based on the market place lessons of yesterday, and tommorrow it is back to school.

More soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment