Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Update May 25, 2010: Final Stretch to the Beginning




On Friday, May 28, 2010, I become an official Peace Corps volunteer with a swearing in ceremony at the Governor General's home (as in the Queen of England--something to do with their former colonial/now commonweath status). Today I am back at the Peace Corps Belize headquarters with final training that today included how to hang a hammock, how to install a propane tank, what to do in the event of a serious hurricane (and the boots John has sent me may not be all I need as in rules for evacuation) and most important how to sharpen a machete (pronoounced MACHET in Kriol). Here is a photo of the Belizean Peace Corps staff that taught us how to do these things (I did learn that for $20 Belize -- which is $10 US -- I can have someone else do it!) They taught us how to fix a bicycle flat tire (which I also probably won't be doing-considering my mishap at the 79th Street Boat Basin when I was at least two years younger) but the photo shows you they will be giving me a fire extinguisher, life vest, a first aid kit and other important things.....

My job is very similar to what I've done before--building an administrative infrastructure, proposal writing, resource getting--and it is a very good job to have. Next steps are finding a place to live so more to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment