Sunday, December 5, 2010

Belizean Wedding


I spent the day in San Antonio Village where I had received community-based training back in April and May. I was invited to attend the wedding of my host family. What is different from a "typical" US wedding? In this village virtually no one attended the pentacostal church ceremony--but over 500 people attended the reception. The bride and groom and immediate family eat inside; the guests eat outside and only approach the house to deliver their gifts. It was an honor to be "inside"! My family is the Tzib family; the groom's family is the Tzib family--this is a Yucatec village of 2500 people with only 5 or 6 last names. One picture is me and the bridge as she was getting ready; the other is the bride and groom--note the lasso which they wore--uniting them--until dinner was served.

No comments:

Post a Comment