Monday, December 13, 2010

Mary Open Doors Holiday Party in my home










I hosted a very festive holiday party for the women served by Mary Open Doors. It was unusual: we made things including jewelry and carefully followed my prized book of "99 ways to make over T shirts." The most touching moment was one woman who said for these few hours she didn't have to think about anything else. The children (all 21 of them) were hosted by the CEO's teenage daughters. A good time was had by all at both parties.
I cooked--not my usual practice--and these healthy foods were a big hit: pumpkin bread and several non-fried, non-strarchy recipes I picked up from various Peace Corps folks: deviled eggs, papaya ices, homemake salsa and even homemade chips, black bean patties, and fruit. What was not eaten was taken home.

In the future, the women said they would really like to learn crafts: knitting, crocheting, needlepoint, etc. They showed incredible talent (I actually need a Learning Annex class to make earrings--they just figured it out! This isn't really my role here but surely I would do it for fun. Special thanks to dear dear Karen Wasserman who sent me an incredible CARE package of supplies--Karen, you should see all the tools and beads in action in these photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment