Friday, June 3, 2011

Community Control




Following last week's workshop for community water committees, we held a workshop for the Village Council leaders on Saturday. Belize has a unique system of community leadership that is very tied up with its two main political parties, a system that tends to divide rather than unite. This workshop was designed to help villages set their own priorities, although it became clear that political differences often prevail. Note the T shirt of the Mayan woman from a Village called Billy White (don't ask--no one knows the source of its name!)--the shirt says "dreams of New York." She struggles to represent her community in the face of politics, sexism, and religious differences. I am awestruck by the energy and enthusiasm in the wake of overwhelming odds. They truly represent "another world is possible."

2 comments:

  1. Hello Dena,

    My name is Nandi Brown, and I have recently caught my friends and coworkers off guard by announcing that I was quitting my job to move to Belize. Unless I hate it, I plan to move to Belize, so I want to gain my six months' residency and give something to the community I'm in while I do so.

    I've been seeing fairly discreet things about Mary Open Doors, and I want to know if the shelter ever needs volunteers. I won't be in a position to pay a stipend or fee in order to participate, but I can arrange to pay for my own housing and such if that is a problem.

    I have a BA in psychology and a master's in social work, and three years as an adoption social worker at an adoption and foster care agency. I can't tell that well if the children's education portion got developed, but if it hasn't, I would be honored to contribute any knowledge or talents I have toward helping get it going. If the children's area has been developed, I would be even more honored to offer my services in that wing. My heart is filled with compassion and affection for children, as well as empathy for them and an understanding of some of the psychological impact of the traumas they go through.

    I know the Comments box isn't the place for this, but I don't see a place to just contact you,and I don't want to invade the shelter's privacy with what is essentially a cold call.

    If you have any insight for me as to whether it's possible to volunteer at the shelter, and, if so, how I might go about doing so, I would be so grateful.

    Thank you so much,
    Nandi Brown

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just seeing this; I stopped working with Mary Open Doors in December 2010 so I'm probably not the best person to ask. When I left they had decided to stop seeing clients. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete