Thursday, June 30, 2011

Leaving Cayo District, Belize, Central America for now

My Peace Corps work is done in Cayo District, Belize, as of June 30, 2011. On June 18, 2011, I left for vacation and Walkabout Clearwater Chorus' long awaited performance at the Pressefest 2011 Dortmund, Germany, Festival. The highlight of the weekend of many performances was my husband John's song "I Choose" led by a friend who is gay and proud -- that is John, 2nd from the right on the Cuba Stage. (I am hoping that Walkabout will sing in Cuba, Venezuela, and Nicaragua one day soon. They sang "I Choose" first on the day New York State finally passed the Gay Marriage Bill. For anyone who wants to hear the song and others go to youtube and search "Pressefest 2011 Walkabout."


I had an incredible experience in Belize, especially because of the wonderful welcome I received, friendships I have formed, and a general although not thorough understanding of a country where so many cultures live in harmony. Peace Corps has been there for just under 50 years and my personal view is that it is time to move on; the country does very well in comparison to neighboring Central American countries--as a people to people exchange PC is great; as grass roots organizers less so. I was fortunate that a lovely young couple wanted to rent my house (and thus much that was in it) so it made leaving easy. I hope to return in the winter for visits. I will miss the Belizean people, the Book Club we started of Belizeans and ex-pats, the NGO organizers especially my counterpart at Rural Community Development, warm friendships at Cornerstone Foundation, the Cayo AIDS Committe, and the wonderful farm fresh life of San Ignacio and its surrounding villages especially San Antonio where I have truly made life-long friends.








No comments:

Post a Comment